It was all happening on 22nd November, 2013, inside Al Maasa Hall at Ruwi, Oman. You could see the bright sunlight inside wherein more than 400 Oman Billawas with their families had assembled to participate in the “CHILDREN’S TALENT SHOW” – a platform for young Billawas to showcase their talent – and also to celebrate “VANASDA PARBA” – the Annual Food Festival of the Billawa community in Oman.
The heavy rain and the sultry weather notwithstanding, the Billawa community in Oman were present in full strength to participate in the day’s proceedings. The programme commenced with the lamp being lit by the President, Committee members and Ladies Wing members. Mrs. Suchethana Anchan and Mr. Umesh Jeppu welcomed the gathering and appreciated the overwhelming participation of the ladies and children, duly supported by the men.
The President Shri Ashok Suvarna while welcoming the gathering appreciated the keen interest taken by the Women’s Wing, who have been functioning as a great team in bringing out a number of such programs. The Vice President Mr SK Poojary, in his speech seconded the Presidents words.
It was yet another day filled with food, fun and frolic for the children, ladies as well as men folk, as the ‘Biruvedis’ had planned out an exciting evening for all those who had gathered there, by organising a “Children’s Talent Show”, followed by the “Vanasda Parba”.
The tiny tots, juniors as well as senior children participated in large numbers in the various activities, competing among themselves, proving a point to the elders, who cheered and encouraged the children as the events unfolded one after the other. There were ‘Shlokha recitals’, ‘Fancy dress’, Singing and Dance competitions for various age groups, with the youngest competitor being 1 year old and the oldest 12 years old. The programme was immensely enjoyed by everyone with melodious Songs and Karaoke Music by our fellow Billawa male & female members, as well as children, ably supported by members of the Cultural wing.
The children were judged by our in-house panel of judges consisting of Mrs. Prashanthi Suvarna, Mrs. Akshatha Amin, Ms. Shreya Bangera, Mr. Rajnish Sanil, & Mr. Harish Sanil. The winners of the various events were:
|Dancing Gr. 1 (Age: 3- 7 years)||Mst. Sayi Gyan Sudesh||Ms. Prisha Sudhir|
|Dancing Gr. 2(Age: 8 years & above)||Ms. Prachi Sandip||Ms. Gauri G. Poojary||Ms. Mithali A Sudhir|
|Singing Gr. 1 (Age: 3- 7 years)||Mst. Sayi Gyan Sudesh||Ms. Diya Subhakar||
|Singing Gr. 2(Age: 8 years & above)||Ms. Rija & Mst. Raj Kotian||Mst. Dhyan R. Poojary||Ms. Janvi Kotian|
|Shloka Reciting Gr. 1(Age: 3- 7 years)||Mst. Sayi Gyan Sudesh||Ms. Diya Guruprasad||Ms. Prisha Sudhir|
|Shloka Reciting Gr. 2 (Age: 8 years & above)||Ms. Mithali A Sudhir||Ms. Gauri G. Poojary||Mst. Varun Bangera|
|Fancy Dress Gr. 1(Age: 1-3 years)||Mst. Ayush Amin||Mst. Chiranvi Salian||Ms. Sanabhi Ail|
|Fancy Dress Gr. 2(Age: 4- 7 years)||Mst. Dhyan R. Poojary||Mst. Sayi Gyan Sudesh||Ms. Likitha S. Kotian|
|Fancy Dress Gr. 3(Age: 8 years & above)||Ms. Spoorthy Shankar|
Spot prizes were given away to members, who participated and won in the various quizzes & games arranged on this occasion.
The women had taken lots of trouble to prepare delicious, mouth-watering, authentic Manglorean home-made delicacies. Even some of our young bachelors tried out their culinary skills to prepare some more popular dishes.
Apart from Muscat, ladies from Al Khodh, Seeb, Barkha, Nizwa, Wudham, Sohar and Ibri had taken the trouble of cooking delicious Manglorean cuisine and participated in this family get-together.
The detailed list of participants along with menu is as below:
1. Umesh Jeppu – Fish curry(bangude), rice
2. Prema Umesh – Chicken sukka, kudutha chutney
3. Surekha – Uppad roti
4. Suguna Poojary – Idli, sambhar
5. Chandni Sudhir – Chicken sukka, rice
6. Sheetal Sudesh – Idli, eggs
7. Rashmi Gangadhar – Chicken curry, Rice noodles
8. Roopa Sandip – Chicken sukka,rice noodles
9. Shobha Prashant – Chicken sukka
10. Suchethana Anchan – Chicken curry, eggs, rice, Idli
11. Rupal Guruprasad – Chicken curry,eggs
12. Pramila Chandu – Chicken sukka
13. Geeta Bangera – Mix veg pulav
14. Asha Salian – Raitha
15. Vaishali Ashok – Chicken Sukka, jeera rice
16. Anita Shankar – Rice, Payasa,Neer dosa
17. Kavitha Sanil – Chicken sukka,eggs,idli,ladoo
18. Suvi Bangera – Chicken curry, eggs, idli
19. S.K. Poojary – Mutton curry, Ghee rice
20. Nishmitha R Poojary – Chicken curry
21. Tilothama G. Poojary – Pathrode,Padengi batata gassi
22. Gayatri Rohan – Chicken curry
23. Prafulla Shankar – Godhi Payasa, bombe kadle da sukka
24. Jyothi Raju Poojary – Payasa, sambhar, salad
25. Priya Shailesh – Chicken sukka ,rice
26. Divya Vijaykumar – Baareda iretha gatti
27. Geeta Hariprasad – Bangude pulimunchi
28. Prasad Amin & team – Bangude Rava fry, salad
29. Krishnappa Poojary – Manjal da iretha gatti
30. Naina Ail – Chicken curry, salad
31. Madhuri Suvarna – Mutton curry, eggs
32. Kripa Sujith Anchan – Idli, egg masala
33. Jayashri Kotian – Padengi Potato, chicken sukka, kudutha chutney
34. Preeti Uday – Podi Etty Chatni, Peleta iretha Kottige, Plain rice,
Bareda iretha gunda
35. Manuja Suhan – Chicken curry, appa, eggs
36. Bhavani Kotian – Chicken curry
37. Amitha Shridhar – Kadle manoli, Chicken Sukka
38. Sapna Vittal Poojary – Chicken sukka
39. P.K.Anchan – Chicken Curry, salad, pickle
40. Sabita Vinod – Neer dosa,Batata vatani
41. Ranjini Poojary – Batata vatani, Neer dosa
42. Sowmya Mahesh – Eggs curry, boiled rice, idli
43. Jaya Subhakar – Godhi Payasa
44. Leelavati Chandrashekhar- Neer Dosa
45. Pratima S Anchan – Gunda, kadle manoli sukka
46. Akshatha R Amin – Kori Roti
47. Vidya Kamlash – Sambhar, rice
48. Prathiba Shashiraj – Fish puli munchi
49. Kala Sanil – Gunda
50. Bindu Mohithe – Laddoos
The ladies had proudly displayed an abundant variety of Vegetarian & Non-vegetarian mouth-watering Mangalorean dishes. It consisted of Kori-sukka, Kori Gasi, Mutton curry, Fish fry, Fish pulimunchi, Fish curry, Egg masala, Egg curry, Boiled egg, Ettida poditha chutney, etc. For the Vegetarians, there was Kadle manoli, Batata batani, Kudutha Chutney, Padengi batata, Bambe kadle gassi, different types of Sambar etc. Also in abundance, one could find Neer-dosas, Appa, Semeda-adde, Pundis, Gunda, Kottige, Pathrode, Idlis, Bareda iretha gatti, Manjalda iretha gatti, Ghee rice, Pulao, Biriyani, Boiled rice and Rottis, not to mention a variety of Salads/raithas, Chatpata pickles, Chutney’s, Payasams and different kinds of sweets.
The evening of celebration came to a close with the Raffle draw where 11 high value gifts like LED TV, Microwave oven, Watch, Perfume, Dinner sets, etc., were given away to the lucky winners, before dinner.
The function was an overwhelming success, thanks to support from our members, M/s Ashok Suvarna, Dr Anchan CK, Shankar Uppoor and Manohar Salian. Each and every member along with their families thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment by the children, followed by the sumptuous food, which had everyone floored.
Another well-deserved feather in the cap of the Women’s wing of Oman Billawas – Three cheers to all of them.